Pediatric Eye Exams
A pediatric eye exam is a professional evaluation of a child's visual health and ocular abilities performed by a pediatric eye doctor. Pediatric optometrists use specific medical tools to diagnose and assess your child’s visual health. Since most learning for children is visual, doctors recommend the first eye exam to take place before a child reaches school age. If you live in or around Falcon, Windsor, or Colorado Springs, contact our family eye doctors at Alpine Vision to schedule your child’s next eye exam.
Why are Pediatric Eye Exams Important?
Pediatric eye exams are essential since they help detect vision problems early. The exam also allows your child to lead a healthy life to the fullest. The benefits of pediatric eye exams include:
- Exceptional visual alertness
- Precise eye teaming and eye movement abilities
- Enhanced learning ability and performance
Pediatric Eye Exam Schedule
Pediatric eye doctors advise parents to have their child’s eyes checked at six months old to ascertain if their eyes are progressing normally. The second eye exam takes place at the age of three and a subsequent exam occurs before enrolling in first grade.
What Does a Pediatric Eye Exam Entail?
The tests performed on your child during the eye exam include:
- Visual Acuity: The eye doctor examines your child’s vision clarity.
- Binocular vision: This test ensures that your child’s eyes are well aligned and that they are coordinating correctly with the brain.
- Muscle Balance/Eye Alignment: Testing whether the eyes are aligned correctly and if the eye muscles are functioning correctly.
- Refraction: Used to determine if your child is nearsighted or farsighted.
- Fundus Examination: This is an integrative test used to detect underlying vision problems.
Signs That Your Child Needs a Pediatric Eye Exam
Certain habits, reading, and behavioral problems observed in children may be the result of poor vision. Visit our pediatric eye doctors at Alpine Vision if you notice:
- Poor concentration or short attention span
- Blurred or distorted vision
- Drooping eyelids
- Frequent rubbing of the eyes
- Chronic eye pain
- Holding reading materials close to the face
- Slow or poor reading and writing
Contact Our Pediatric Eye Doctors at Alpine Vision
Your child’s eye health is a crucial part of their general health and well-being. You must ensure that your child sees correctly to excel in school and life. Our optometrists in Colorado Springs, Falcon, and Windsor provide quality eye care for patients of all ages. Schedule an appointment for your child’s next eye exam at Alpine Vision.